Friday, August 24, 2007

Week 6, thing 15: Library 2.0

I kinda have mixed feelings about this one. First, I thought "The Machine is us/ing us" video was very well done. It makes you think about where we're headed technology wise. As for the viewpoints, the first one I read, "Into a new world of librarianship" was, I thought, right on the money. Yes, technology is changing and yes we must stay on top of it. At our library, I feel we've done an excellent job of this. There's so much going on technology wise, and we really seem to be right there with it. There's classes, training, seminars, and activities to keep everyone involved and up to date (this includes something called "23 Things"). In Mr. Stephens blog, he says we should sharpen our skills, plan for our users, and embrace 2.0, and I think he's right. But at the same time, we shouldn't "buy technology for the sake of technology." We should understand and make intelligent choices about the best ways to meet and even exceed our patrons needs, not just blindy follow and buy into all the latest fads (remember those wonderful beta tapes). I feel Mr. Stephens has a balanced, well thought out, and smart viewpoint. On the other hand, "Away from the icebergs" was a little scary. It seems Mr. Anderson feels that Libraries should do away with collections. He claims his libraries have "seen a 55 percent drop in circulation rates over the past twelve years." I'm not sure if he means books, audio and or video, but I'd say something is seriously wrong with their system. From what I've been able to gather, we've actually been setting records for circulation at our libraries. He makes it sound as if our patrons are way ahead of us in regards to technology and that we're woefully behind the times. I don't agree with that at all. As I stated earlier, I think we have a lot to offer, and we're always looking for ways to improve and grow. If his library has seen a 55 percent drop in circulation (and he's the acquisitions director) I'd have to say, respectfully of course, that he's the one that's behind the times. If we follow Mr. Anderson's advice, eventually there won't be any need for libraries, everybody can just stay at home and download. His viewpoint reminds me of that classic Twilight Zone episode called "The Obsolete man." This particular episode really makes you think about how things might evolve in the future, a future where books are seen as a useless waste of time. Then again maybe it will be more like "Fahrenheit 451" where books are considered dangerous. I don't know, perhaps I'm overreacting, I hope so, because I'd sure hate to walk into a library 30 years from now and hear the words "You are obsolete!! (echo)

No comments: